Paul Korda . com - The Web Home of Paul Korda, singer, musician & song-writer.

International Entertainment News

Friday, October 31, 2008

LL Cool J, Pat Benatar, and Marvin Hamlisch Among Those Inducted Into L.I. Music Hall of Fame

LL Cool J, Pat Benatar, and Marvin Hamlisch Among Those Inducted Into L.I. Music Hall of Fame

GARDEN CITY, N.Y., Oct. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- An eclectic assortment of artists from Long Island were inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame at a star-studded Gala at the Garden City Hotel Thursday night. The diverse group included LL Cool J, Marvin Hamlisch, Blue Öyster Cult, Jean Ritchie, Public Enemy, The Tokens, and The Ramones.

Recalling his Long Island roots, LL Cool J said, "When I was a little kid in North Babylon, on Lakeway Drive, just dreaming of being a part of hip hop - I never dreamed that I would be in a position to actually be looking at a wonderful room full of people who are actually honoring and celebrating the art that I created."

The inductees discussed how Long Island influenced their lives and music. Chuck D pointed out that L.I. united musicians of all types. "That this music can sit side-by-side with other great offerings of music is a true pleasure," he said, later adding "Music is a universal language, and Long Island you are No. 1."

Doo-wop pioneer, inductee Kenny Vance said, "There's nothing like being recognized in your hometown. History is so important."

In a video acceptance, composer Marvin Hamlisch said, "I love Long Island. I love the people, I love the community." He said even though he no longer lives there, "when my dog died, we had her buried on Long Island."

In her acceptance letter, four-time Grammy Award winner Pat Benatar noted that "My upbringing, and the values and ideals I learned back in my hometown kept me grounded. I never forget that a small town girl from Lindenhurst LI actually got the chance to live her dreams." She added, "Long Island girls ROCK!"

The evening was highlighted by a rare acoustic version of "Don't Fear The Reaper" by Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma from Blue Öyster Cult, a joint hip-hop set by Chuck D and DMC, and performances by inductees The Tokens, Jean Ritchie, Kenny Vance and The Good Rats.

Those in attendance included Peter Yarrow, Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge), Grandmaster Flash, Felix Cavalieri, The Ramones, Gary U.S. Bonds, Cousin Brucie, Monkee Peter Tork, Foghat's Roger Earl, DMC, Jimmy Webb, and Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club's Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz.

A complete list of inductees can be found at www.LIMusichalloffame.org.


Source: The Long Island Music Hall of Fame

CONTACT: Roberta Facinelli, rfacinelli@aol.com

Web Site: http://www.limusichalloffame.org/


-------
Profile: intent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home